Love ice cream? Love Matcha? Mix the two together and you are winning forever...
140g organic dark chocolate
2 tbsp of Matcha green tea powder
400ml full fat milk
300ml double cream
1 vanilla pod
80g fresh mint leaves
4 large egg yolks
140g unrefined caster sugar
- put the chocolate in a freezer bag, seal and freeze for 30 minutes
- in a small bowl, mix the Matcha with hot water (not boiling), set aside.
- remove chocolate from freezer and bash up into small chunks inside the bag
- pour milk and cream into a heavy based pan, scrape vanilla pod seeds in and add pod. Heat the mixture until almost boiled. Add mint, cover and leave for 15 minutes
- strain the liquid and press mint hard in the sieve to extract all the flavour.
- whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar until thick. Add the Matcha tea mixture and whisk again thoroughly
- return the mint cream mix to a fresh pan and bring back to almost boiling
- pour half the hot liquid onto the egg and tea mixture and whisk. Add the rest of the cream and mix.
- clean the pan and return the cream mix, cook over a low heat, stirring continuously for about 3 to 4 minutes (make sure it does not curdle!)
- strain the mixture into a bowl and leave to cool. Stir it occasionally so it does not form any skin
- chill the mixture over night
- Churn the mixture in an ice-cream maker until frozen, add the chocolate pieces before it sets. If you do not have an ice cream maker, pour the mixture into a chilled container and freeze for 2-3 hours. Whisk thoroughly to break up any crystals and add the chocolate chips. Freeze until solid. Soften for 20 - 30 minutes in the fridge before serving.